Ad Gloriam Dei

"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corintians 10:31

"Let us pursue the things which make for peace and those by which one may edify another"- Romans 14:19

"As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

Saturday, August 12, 2006

I've been tagged, so here goes...

I've been tagged here, so here goes... (I recommend all of the following books, apart from the Qur'an. Please click on the links for more info.)

1. One book that changed your life: The Holy Bible: sorry, but that is the honest answer. Other books have affected my thinking, but it is consistently the Bible that does the life-changing.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Lord of the Rings: what a perfectly-crafted book! What an enjoyable read!

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: The History of Protestantism: it is a long read, so I won’t get bored reading it over and over. For being a big book, it is still an easy read as the chapters are divided nicely and it’s really well written. It also has lots of really good illustrations add to the interest. It is full of challenging stories of fellow pilgrims and is spiritually-edifying. (The one book apart from the Bible and my Psalter, of course!)

4. One book that made you laugh: Any Jeeves and Wooster book.

5. One book that made you cry [or feel really sad]: 500 Nations – An Illustrated History of North American Indians: ok, it didn’t make me cry, but it has got as close as any book has. It is terrible to think how the Indians suffered. It makes you think about the rightness and wrongness of all that went on in the colonisation of America.

6. One book that you wish had been written: A good Church history for kids.

7. One book that you wish had never been written: The Qur’an: how it has left so many in blindness and slavery, hindered the spread of the Gospel, and caused so much bloodshed and pain.

8. One book you’re currently reading: Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology: I can’t recommend it highly enough. Although I don’t agree with the charismaticism and the pathetic approach to Creation, it still knocks the spots off all other STs. (I'm also reading Culver's ST with a reading group here.)

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: Well, I want to finish Calvin’s Institutes – does that count?

10. Now tag five people: Mary, Paul, Holly, Kevin and Phil.


Read the rest...

11 Comments:

Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Here's Phil's list because I think it's profitable:

1. One book that changed your life.
The Holy Bible. It has changed and God willing will continue to change my life. I'd be more than happy to give all my other books away and have one Bible (some blank paper and a pencil also).

2. One book that you have read more than once.
Precious Remedies Against Satan's Device by Thomas Brooks (First published 1652). I love the way a book written nearly 400 years ago can read me so well.

3. One book you would want on a desert island.
Something by Ray Mears.

4. One book that made you laugh.
Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God by CJ Mahaney. He has a few priceless illustrations that made me laugh out loud. It is also a super book.

5. One book that made me cry (or really sad).
My Heart for Thy Cause: Albert N. Martin's Theology of Preaching by Brian Borgman. I do not get a diet of such preaching regularly.

6. One book I wish had been written.
Anything by Greg Bahnsen on the doctrine of the Word had he not died at such an early age.

7. One book you wish had never been written.
The Qur'an. Agree with Tim on this one. The hate it seems to inspire is worrying.

8. One book you are currently reading.
Robert Culver's Systematic Theology. This is an ongoing reading assignment as it is a rather large book. Down, but not Out by Wayne Mack. As a depression sufferer this book is helping me greatly. Applied theology ... the only type of theology I need.

9. One (I'm actually providing two) book you have been meaning to read.
Van Til's Apologetic by Greg Bahnsen. I dip in and out of it and have always been impressed by what I read.
The Letter to the Ephesians by Peter O'Brien. Consistently good as I have plundered various chapters.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:48:00 am  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Kevin's list:

1. One book that changed your life: The Bible. Our family reads it almost everyday and through the whole Bible during each year. It contains God's Word and God's path of salvation through his only Son, the Lord Jesus.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Other than the Bible, I don't think I have ever read an adult book more than once.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: Fishing for Dummies.

4. One book that made you laugh: Dilbert. If I had read this earlier, I would not have felt the need to get an MBA.

5. One book that made you cry [or feel really sad]: I can think of plenty of sad Irish balllads but I can't think of a book. I am going to take the liberty to change this question to "One book that was so bad you stopped reading it even though you were almost finished:" My answer would be Tess of the d'Urbervilles. The book was excellent till the end. The finish was so unbelievable that I threw the book across the room in disgust. It was if Thomas Hardy had run out of logic and reached for the most expedient ending.

6. One book that you wish had been written: The Rise and Fall of Modern Secularism

7. One book that you wish had never been written: I couldn't pick just one.

8. One book you’re currently reading: Organic Chemistry.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: I don't have any planned.

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:46:00 pm  
Blogger John said...

"The Rise and Fall of Modern Secularism" sounds to me a lot like McGrath's excellent The Twilight of Atheism.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:59:00 pm  
Blogger Timothy said...

OK, for some reason, when I pull up your page, it seems to be stuck on the august 9th entry... not sure why...

Yes, the tags are fun and I'm working on a new one...

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. One book that changed your life: Truly changed my life? The Bible. And it continues to do so, praise God!

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom. It's such an edifying book.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: Besides my Bible & Psalter... um... "Nourishing Traditions", probably!! I'm sure she'd find something good to do with the raw ingredients on the island! :)

4. One book that made you laugh: "Calvin & Hobbes"!

5. One book that made you cry [or feel really sad]: "Charlotte's Web." :)

6. One book that you wish had been written: A good book on British architecture through the ages, with good pictures & illustrations (maybe there is one... if anyone's heard of one, let me know!).

7. One book that you wish had never been written: The Marxist Manifesto!

8. One book you’re currently reading: "The Tudor Housewife." Very interesting!

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: "The Art of Dress," which we got during our holidays - about the history of fashion from 1500 to 1914. Can't wait! :)

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:55:00 pm  
Blogger Timothy said...

BTW,
I tried to go to Paul's site, but was blocked...

Thursday, August 17, 2006 3:56:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally got around to working on the tag. =) It was fun. I have it posted on my xanga. Hope you are doing well!
-Holly

Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:39:00 pm  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Holly's (brother-in-law's wife) list:

1. One book that changed your life: The Bible

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: The Giver by Lois Lowry

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: hmm… besides the Bible…I’d say any James Herriot book

4. One book that made you laugh: All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot

5. One book that made you cry [or feel really sad]: Great Expectation by Dickens (It made me sad)

6. One book that you wish had been written: lol! I’d have to say one of the stories I started to write a long time ago but never finished. I’d wish it was written…to completion, even if no one else read it.

7. One book that you wish had never been written: The Color Purple (I’m not trying to be racist here, but a certain part about how Celie discovered herself sexually made me want to barf.)

8. One book you’re currently reading: Shem Creek by Dorathea Frank and The Prophet by Frank Peretti

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: The Silmarillion by Tolkien

Friday, August 18, 2006 12:37:00 pm  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Phil,

I've been meaning to read Bahnsen on Van Til as well. I've got Brooks' "Precious Remedies", but I haven't read it yet. (Part of my student discount stockpile.)

Friday, August 18, 2006 12:39:00 pm  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Kevin,

I'm a big Dilbert fan too. What an apt reflection of the engineering environment (esp. the bit about salesmen! ;)

Friday, August 18, 2006 12:41:00 pm  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Holly,

I recently read my first James Herriot recently. I gave Mary the complete set for her birthday. (For those who are interested, the Book People do a very good price.)

It is very, very funny and being a countryside lover, I really enjoyed all the tales.

Silmarillon is a lot more 'religious' than the LoR and the Hobbit. I was a bit uncomfortable with this.

Friday, August 18, 2006 12:44:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home